Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Greetings


My name is Mike Mayberry and I am starting a Transition Initiative in Yuma, AZ as part of my undergraduate studies at the University of Illinois at Springfield. This blog will be a step by step look into the process of building a transition initiative from scratch.

So, you may be wondering what a transition initiative is exactly. Well, there is an excellent overview available here, but basically it is a community tailored contingency plan for a sustainable future. I believe a transition initiative is important because I am concerned that government and the free market will not be able to offer viable, equitable solutions to impending problems such as peak oil, the economic crisis, and climate change. I am excited to be able to take part in building a grass roots organization because there are so many possible directions that we can make for ourselves.

Personally, my concern about food security has led me to have a interest in developing local food production as a basis for a healthy local economy. This will mean trying to find consumers interested in private or community gardening and community supported agriculture, as well as farmers that would be interested in participating in a different, more community-oriented, business model. Given the fact that Yuma is in a dry climate and is situated along the lower Colorado River, water security is another major concern. Along with how to get the water needed, I would like to explore how individual conservation methods can be employed that will lower local demand for this limited resource. A final interest of mine is home efficiency and alternative energy. Due to the great amount of sunlight Yuma receives, two things are happening. A lot of solar energy is being wasted, and a lot of fossil fuels are being consumed to combat the heat. I think there are many low-cost, low-tech alternatives to cranking up the air conditioning which include home weatherization retrofits, a $5 solar hot water heater and a DIY solar oven that could be installed/built by initiative members as part of an awareness raising event.

But, the great thing is that these are just some of my ideas. Once I get to know some of my new neighbors in Yuma and surrounding areas, I am sure they will bring a whole new perspective along with a truck load full of ideas for what we can do to make a better future for ourselves.

And most importantly, we can have fun while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment